Manuscript completion checklist:
- The Abstract fully summarizes the paper and contains no information (including data) that does not appear in the main text.
- The Abstract can be understood without reference to the main text and contains no undefined abbreviations.
- The Introduction explains what is known and what is not known about the subject (i.e., the knowledge gap you are filling) and is supported by citations to other studies.
- The novel aspect of the study is explained in the Introduction.
- The aims of study are clearly stated in the last paragraph of the Introduction.
- The Methods section contains enough information to allow another researcher to reproduce them.
- If standard techniques have been used, these are appropriately referenced in the Methods section.
- All figures and tables show essential data and do not duplicate data presented in the text.
- The statistical analyses are described in the Methods and reported in the Results.
- All possible interpretations of the data are mentioned in the Discussion.
- The findings of the study are compared with those of similar studies.
- The limitations of the study are stated in the Discussion.
- The conclusions are stated at the end of the Discussion and they are based on the interpretation of the data.
- The wider implications and/or applications of the findings are mentioned in the Discussion.
- All references that are cited in the text appear in the reference list and vice versa.
- Check the manuscript complies with all journal instructions.
- Check publication fee and/or image/page costs (and if appropriate, that you have the funds).
- Check abstract is interesting, within word limit and appropriately formatted for the journal.
- Check figures/tables are drawn to standard required by journal and saved in an appropriate format.
- Final proof read before submission.
- Identify potential peer reviewers (if the journal allows or requires suggestions).
- Write cover letter.
- Complete any forms necessary for submission (e.g., copyright form).
- Make an account with the journal’s online submission system.