Yes, we can edit references, but only if you ask us to; it is not part of our normal editing service.
References will be edited for compliance with the correct format. Edanz editors will not rewrite the actual format between, for example, Harvard and Vancouver styles if the author has used the wrong one.
Reference management software makes this an easy job for the author. However, Edanz does not edit citations or references generated by reference management software such as EndNote or Mendeley because any changes would be overwritten if the citations or references are regenerated later.
Reference editing includes:
- Correct spelling and punctuation as per target journal instructions
- Adjust typography (e.g., bold, italics) as per target journal instructions
- Correct spacing, replace Asian characters, correct Journal title style
- Adjust number of author names in references as per journal requirements
- Check that in-text reference style is correct
Reference editing does not include:
- Change reference order from numerical to alphabetical or vice-versa
- Research and insert author names when they are missing
- Alphabetize references by author name
- Check the existence, accuracy or validity of the citation